Thursday, January 24, 2013

How to Paint Canvas Character Shoes - Mario and Yoshi

How To Paint Canvas Character (Mario) Shoes - DIY



Sometimes it's easy to find what you want. Sometimes it isn't. In my case, I can find hundreds of Mario-themes merchandise out there but it's much more difficult to find things that I don't find tacky.

There is an easy solution: Can't find exactly what you envisioned? Make it. This works for all ages!


What you will need:

* Shoes: You can fancy up an old pair of sneakers or just buy new ones. Canvas sneakers (Vans, Converse, etc...) are ideal.  
* Acrylic paint: (Buy or mix whatever colors you need/want.) 
* Paint Brushes: People can get very particular about these but for a simple project, you don't have to be too picky.
* A Sharpie and/or fabric markers.
* A finishing spray/treatment: A matte spray varnish is often recommended. Clear acrylic art spray is also an option. 


Step 1: Choose Your Shoes:



I have spruced up old shoes in the past but in this case, I purchased a new pair. I found these Harajuku Lovers slip-on canvas shoes on clearance for $4 at Target. They were ideal.


Step 2: Apply A Base Coat


I did a white acrylic base coat. It covered most of the graphic design on the shoe but I wasn't too worried because as you keep adding more layers and colors, you'll likely hide anything that was originally on the shoe. You can use a primer or base coat used for painting canvas if you'd like. 
Make sure you like the base totally dry before you continue to paint.

Step 3: Draw and Paint


It's your choice if you want to use a Sharpie or a Fabric Marker to draw your base picture. If you want to get fancy or you feel lack artistic ability, you can use a transfer paper to trace a picture you like and then trace over that with a fine-point Sharpie. 
When I designed my shoe, I referenced various different Mario-character pictures and hand drew them with a fine point fabric marker. I painted each character after I drew it so I could get an idea of what I "needed" but you can draw it all and then paint or paint as you go. It's entirely up to you! Let your creative juices flow!


Step 4: Apply Protective Coat


Once you've finished your masterpiece, you'll want to wait for it to dry and then you'll add your protective spray. I'd advise you follow the instructions on the label because each product can be different.

Viola! Once the protective coat has dried, you (or your child/friend/grandmother) is ready to rock their new kicks.

1 comment:

  1. i discovered this weblog after a long time that's clearly beneficial to allow understand unique techniques. i'm going to adopt the ones new issue to my career and thankful for this assist. Walk Central Coast

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog